Monday, October 6, 2008

26.2

This last weekend was the St. George marathon and for the first time in my life I participated rather than watched. I spent all spring and summer long training with my sister Mindy and felt like I was as prepared as I could be. If any of you noticed the weather this last weekend, you probably noticed that the temperature plummeted and St. George was no exception. It rained and rained and rained some more and really it rained some more after that.

I wouldn't say that I had a terribly pleasant experience, I don't think that anyone did, but it was certainly a humbling experience. I had heard that the first marathon was a sort of spiritual experience and I'm not gonna lie, unless you've done it, it is a tough thing to explain. My initial goal was to finish the marathon and secondly to beat the 4hr mark. It certainly seemed like I was gonna easily break it as I was still with the 3hr 30 min group past the half way mark, but fatigue and I imagine some hypothermia set in and I slowed down. About .5 miles from the end, my sister showed up out of no where and ran with me until the chute. It made all the difference in the world to see her at that point. I finished at 3hr 48 min. I can't express enough how proud I am of myself and the work I put into this race. I only wonder how much better I would have done in better conditions... Regardless, I can't wait for the next one.

PS gros bisous and super big thx to Ju, the kiddos, MOOOOO!!! and all the fam for their support.

If you want to check out some other cool stuff, check out this link:

http://www.runpix.info/stg08/ge.php

5 comments:

Lena said...

I'm so proud of you Jeff! That is awesome! Good job! And I'm happy you FINALLY updated your blog.

Annie said...

Nice work Jeff! I had a similar experience with the St. George marathon but the temp was the opposite...extremely hot and I died about 1/2 way through. We ended up getting almost the same time. I'd say I would do the next one with you but I'm never doing it again. Julia...I'm the worst friend ever but I love you and miss you!

Stuart and Sarah said...

Jeff! Congrats on finishing and getting such a great time despite the weather conditions. You would have rocked the 3 hour mark is the conditions were better I am sure of it! Congrats again!!

Kim said...

Jeff,

I am so proud of you! Way to go! Judy let me know sometime ago that you planned on running this race. What an accomplishment. And you should be very proud of yourself.

By the way, cute little family you have there, too!

Congrats!

Love,

Aunt Kim

Kate said...

26.2 is my favorite number, even though it isn't an integer (which is my favorite word).